forum

Forum

We encourage you to talk back! Expert advice is nice, but we all love to hear what other parents are doing. So, don’t just ask questions but share your own experience, thoughts, ideas, tips and examples.

|  Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Tiziana
Reply with quote  #1 

I am speaking in English (I am an Italian native speaker) to my 3-years boy since he was born.

Me (and TV) are the only means he has to listen and talking to in English.

I am sure he understands me (not sure about what he watches on TV)

My concern is: can he understand native speakers?

Unfortunately I have not the chance to test it (no native-speakers friends, no playgroups, no international schools, no English daycare, no English sitters).

We live in a mostly rural area in Northern Italy (near Verona).

Somebody can give me some suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

ListModerator
Reply with quote  #2 
Hello,

Actually there are English speakers in the most unusual places around the globe, so keep your eyes open. It usually takes a bit of determination and detective work to find them. So, roll up your sleeves and go asking around. Your local newspaper may actually know, so send them an inquiry.

However, using TV and recordings are a perfect way to expose him to native spoken English. Try to get recordings of both music and readings of e.g. fairy tales (since you don’t want him in front of the TV all the time ;-) Also, with air travel prices very reasonable in Europe at this time I’d strongly suggest a visit to the UK within the next few years.

Finally, don’t worry too much about him getting used to your accent. He has many years ahead of him to refine both his comprehension and his own pronunciation.

Best of luck,

/Christina
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Christina Bosemark
Founder & List Moderator
Multilingual Children’s Association

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.