forum

Forum

We encourage you to talk back! Expert advice is nice, but we all love to hear what other parents are doing. So, don’t just ask questions but share your own experience, thoughts, ideas, tips and examples.

|  Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Carrie Anderson
Reply with quote  #1 

Hello,

I am a native English speaker living in the US.  I studied Spanish in college and have retained basic to intermediate knowledge (I can understand much more than I can communicate -- I can read a toddler book and say some simple phrases with ease in Spanish, but beyond that I start to feel over my head). I am interested in exposing my son (15 months) to Spanish.  I’ve read him a couple of books in Spanish, but so far that is all I have attempted.  I thought it would benefit us both to join a bilingual play group.  I had no luck finding one in my area, so I in the midst of arranging a once weekly Spanish play date with native-Spanish-speaking families at my church.  It is a start, right?    

Anyway, these are my questions:

1. I figure at the very least we will enjoy fun outing, but language-wise are there benefits to this type of minimal exposure?  More importantly, would this type of exposure cause any harm in language development?  All the information I am finding is related to children being raised bilingual.  My son is still working on English, will randomly introducing small doses of Spanish confuse him or delay his English?  
  2. I am looking for resources on dual language play groups or immersion play groups for young children (0-3).  Anyone successfully do something like this?  If it was dual, did you do play in one language and then the other or incorporate them both the whole time?

Thank you!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.