forum

Forum

We encourage you to talk back! Expert advice is nice, but we all love to hear what other parents are doing. So, don’t just ask questions but share your own experience, thoughts, ideas, tips and examples.

|  Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Victor
Reply with quote  #1 
I am glad to have found website. I would like to know what you think about my plan.

We're expecting our first baby in January of 2007 and I want our child to speak unaccented American English.

I plan to read children's stories to our baby from the very beginning, but in addition to my English (I lived and worked in the US for eight years and I speak English fluently, but I do have a mild accent) I want our child to hear correct American pronunciation. So if our baby hears English on TV (for example DVDs with cartoons and educational programs or news and soap operas) and if we play CDs with children's stories and songs, will it be enough for our baby to pick up proper accent and be able to speak English like a native speaker?
Cigi
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Viktor

I'm definately not an expert , to be honest, but I suppose you're gonna accept my opinion any way although I'm a student and have no children.

But I sort of study languages and this sort of things so.....

Look, since you guys live in the US and your daughter is about to be raised in this coutry, then you have NOTHING to worry about.
Cause living in the United States ensures a LOT of english exposure
( TV, relatives , people in the streets and many more sources ) and most importantly , as I believe, your kid will attend an American school am I right? And kindergarten as well , hopefully. So all these facts speak clearly if could summarize it.
No matter how perfect or ( or imperfect ) your english is , your kids will have no foreign accent if they live in this natural environment. Hope you find this comment useful
Good luck on your VOYAGE Cigi
Victor
Reply with quote  #3 
No, we live in Russia, Cigi.
inma
Reply with quote  #4 

Hi Viktor,

I'm a Spanish native speaker raising my 2 yo child in Spain and I've spoken English to him from the very beginning. My first plan was to use stories, dvds and so on, but I asked native friends and colleagues (I'm an English teacher) and all of them recommended me to try to speak to him in English. After much hesitation and extensive reading I made up my mind and went for it. I won't say it's easy, but it really pays. One of the universal truths known to any language teacher is that meaning needs context, when I read books to Eloy he reacts to 'ice-cream' because he knows what and ice-cream is, I have gone with him to the shop, speaking all the way there about the fantastic ice-cream we are going to buy and asking all the way back about how he likes it. He had heard the word many times before and he had seen it on pictures, but it's not the same.

You have lived for eight years in the US, my longest visit to England lasted a month; I am sure your command of the language is much better than mine, I have very good grammar and good pronunciation but my vocabulary is not as good as I thought. Gosh! the amount of vocabulary you need to know!

Anyway, I used to worry a lot about my accent and kept going on about it with my friend until one them told me: "Don't worry so much about the accent. Accent is the easiest thing to pick, innit?"

One more thing, when Eloy was a new-born and up to his first year it felt really awful talking to him in another language, especially in front of the family, but you should see them now, they are so proud of their grandson who can understand English.

Stories, videos and DVDs are certainly very helpful, but if you are moderately fluent in the language I think you could give it a try, start from the beginning, you'll need some months to get used to it and to learn all the new vocabulary you are going to use:'babygro, nappy, dummy...' :-)

Monica
Reply with quote  #5 

Hi Inma,

I was visiting this page and found your helpful advise to Victor.  I found it interesting since I'm also a non-native speaker trying to teach English to my 1 year old baby.

So far, I've been succesful at home.  She's learned to say some words and understands some more.

My main concern is when being in public.  In the early stimulation class for example where no English is spoken.  I find myself in the situation not knowing what language to use with my baby.

If I use English  with her during the class I don't want her to be left out of the game for not understanding the rest of the people, so I just go ahead and speak to her in Spanish.  But then again, I don´t want to confuse her with my using two different languages.

What have you done when speaking to your baby in public places ??

Thanks for your reply.

Victor,

Good luck on raising your bilingual baby.

Monica Torres

Mexico

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.