forum

Forum

We encourage you to talk back! Expert advice is nice, but we all love to hear what other parents are doing. So, don’t just ask questions but share your own experience, thoughts, ideas, tips and examples.

|  Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Duncan
Reply with quote  #1 
I have a desire to raise my child bilingual but I am not.  Growing up as a child in Thailand Greece and Italy my parents told me I spoke all three languages fluently.  Since moving back to the states in the 3rd grade I learned a bit of spanish( we moved to Miami) but have never seemed to master it as a true bilingual person.  Is it easier to learn the languages I spoke as a child or is it something that you lose because you stop using it?  They say once you learn how to ride a bike you alway know.  What about languages? Do the connections in the brain that are made stay there or are they lost?

Regards

Duncan

Melbourne Florida
momtomany
Reply with quote  #2 
It is easier if you heard the language(s) as a child.  I heard a lot of Dutch as a child (I don't think I ever spoke it), but I've been studying it and sometimes I'll come across a word.... I don't know why I would ever have learned it.... but my brain feels like "aha.. that's it.. why does that sound so right.. I think I've heard that before!"  The different word order of sentences isn't an obstacle either.... it sounds sensible to my ears just as English does.  And I think the most important advantage of hearing that language as a baby.... when I say anything in Dutch, other Dutch people say I said that well... they rarely rarely correct my pronunciation because it sounds Dutch.  When I try to say something in German to my husband, I have to try and try again and again and he still says it doesn't sound quite right... but I don't hear why!  He says I sound like a Dutch person trying to speak German.  You have a huge huge advantage because you heard (and even spoke!) those languages in your first few years.

I highly highly recommend the book "How to Learn Any Language" by Barry Farber if you are interested in 're'-learning your childhood languages (or any foreign language).  He is a polyglot (25? languages?!) with a very practicle, efficient, and effective method.  If you aren't interested in learning another language, you will be after you read the book.  There's a website with the same title too.... how-to-learn-any-language.com
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.