forum

Forum

We encourage you to talk back! Expert advice is nice, but we all love to hear what other parents are doing. So, don’t just ask questions but share your own experience, thoughts, ideas, tips and examples.

|  Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Beatrice
Reply with quote  #1 

I am so glad I found this site.  I have an almost 6 years old. We have spoken English to our daughter since birth, i guess just because it' s easier. We live in New York. My husband was born in the states to Colombian parents. I was born in Haiti. I came to the states extremely young. We both speak other languages. My husband speaks Spanish and I speak French and French/Creole. Even though my daughter hears me speaking on the phone in French and she also hears her father speaking Spanish to his friends, she does not speak or understand either one. Her understanding of Spanish is very basic. French, even less than that.  What do you think is the best way to begin teaching her the other two languages. Her father and I are no longer together. She lives full time with me so that throws the OPOL method out of the window.

Daniela
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Beatrice,

sorry I don't have much advice, but wanted you to know that you are not alone. I have an almost 5 year old and an 8 year old, and I am trying to teach them my mother tongue (german). I live in England, and my husband is English, so we speak English most of the time, TV is in English as well.

I am struggling with my son's attitude, he is not often interested in learning german, which is a shame.

How does your daughter react when you try and speak your language to her? Is she keen to learn t?

I have bought books, and a DS Game (language learning) for my children, the books have only a few sentences on each page and lots of pictures, so you can tell the story from the pictures (almost), I also bought sticker books, so for example you have a text and some words are pictures, then you find the correct sticker and stick it on the picture. It's fun and kids normally like stickers! I also have "Well Done" stickers for them, which they can stick on their T-shirt, makes them proud! I give my older son a bit of money, not much, but he can save it and buy himself something nice! It does add up!

Hope this helps! And Good luck!

Love
Daniela x
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.