forum

Forum

We encourage you to talk back! Expert advice is nice, but we all love to hear what other parents are doing. So, don’t just ask questions but share your own experience, thoughts, ideas, tips and examples.

|  Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Fien
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

My husband and i are living in Finland. My husband is finnish, i am belgian. Our common language is english.

We are soon to be parents and i we will talk our own language to the child. So i will be talking flemish (more naturally would be my west-flemish dialect, but don't know if thats good or not) and my husband finnsh. I am learning finnish since 3 weeks now in an intensive, daily course. Is it a problem that i'm not really gonna speaking finnish well? And my husband no flemish either?

Greetings

Fien
Erik K
Reply with quote  #2 
I think it is great that you want to teach Dutch. Is there a dialect which is considered most common and standard throughout the Netherlands and Flanders? If so, could you speak that to the child? That way, he/she learns the most widely useful version of the language. But it probably is no big deal; speak your west-flemish dialect if you prefer it.

Your child will need to learn English, so I think your husband should speak that to the child at least when at home, and maybe also outside of the house.

I am assuming that your husband's Finnish relatives, plus the children that your child will meet, plus the television, will give your child enough exposure to Finnish.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.