forum

Forum

We encourage you to talk back! Expert advice is nice, but we all love to hear what other parents are doing. So, don’t just ask questions but share your own experience, thoughts, ideas, tips and examples.

|  Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Kaliroya
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello to everyone!
I apologize in advance for the long post.
I find myself in a very difficult situation at the moment and would be grateful for any kind of advice..
My husband and I are living in Germany. My native language is Bulgarian and I am doing OPOL since the birth of our son, now 20 months old. My husband's language is Arabic dialect, but he usually mixes Arabic and German when talking to our little one. We communicate with each other in German, and none of us has a good knowledge of the language of the respective spouse.
I am planning a visit to Bulgaria with my son for a month. My husband however insists that I learn and speak Arabic to him while we are there, although I have often explained to him what the OPOL method means. He thinks that our son is in danger of not learning Arabic because I am the main caregiver at the moment. However I am also the only source of Bulgarian. My husband has family here and lots of arabic speaking friends, with whom we often meet up. He is also getting an IPTV with Arabic channels at home. I feel that his request is going to ruin my efforts in OPOL. I feel quite saddened and frustrated right now. I don't really want to turn the language acquisition in some kind of a battle.
Any ideas how to react? What would be the consequences of complying with his wish?Thank you in advance.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.