forum

Forum

We encourage you to talk back! Expert advice is nice, but we all love to hear what other parents are doing. So, don’t just ask questions but share your own experience, thoughts, ideas, tips and examples.

|  Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Marzena
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, I need some help motivating my husband to speak to our now 17 month old son in his native language. We discussed this at length when he was born and we agreed that we want him to speak my language (Polish) and my husband's (Spanish) as well as English (we live in UK). My husband found it awkward, he would mostly use English. He says he wants to but then he reverts to English majority of the time! Our son is in full time daycare so he learns English there, we both speak English to each other at home, he has plenty of books and resources in English. My husband recently said he didn't want to confuse him and that he wants him to be able to speak English well first. That's after reading the info on this website! He's just not getting behind the idea that a child can learn 3 languages at the same time with support and consistency. So now it turned from 'I'm not comfortable talking to him in Spanish' to 'I don't want to confuse him'. Whenever I try to gently suggest he switches to Spanish he gets angry and still doesn't. It's hugely important for me to give my son the chance to learn Spanish to some level from his dad for many reasons. How can I get through to him?? It's as if he hit some mental block or something because he still claims he wants him to speak Spanish.. Any suggestions would be very appreciated x
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.