forum

Forum

We encourage you to talk back! Expert advice is nice, but we all love to hear what other parents are doing. So, don’t just ask questions but share your own experience, thoughts, ideas, tips and examples.

|  Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Raffaele
Reply with quote  #1 

Hello everyone,

I am the father of two kids, Leonardo who will be 4 yo next August and Luca 10 months old. I am Italian and my wife is Russian. For professional reasons (I am a diplomat), we have been living in Gabon  (Central Africa) for one year, where the official language is French. We are going to stay in this country for about 4 years.

Leonardo speaks and understands Italian. He only understands some Russian, as we lived in Italy before. Leonardo started the first class in kindergarten in Gabon about 9 months ago, without any knowledge of French but, at the end of the scholastic year in June, he already had a good French vocabulary, also thanks to the babysitter who speaks French with him. The teacher of Leonardo suggested keeping him another year in its class, due to the fact that his lack of knowledge of French (compared to other kids of the same age) could create him some obstacles in the coming middle class. I am in doubt whether keeping him one additional year in the same class or allowing him to stay with classmates of the same age. What would you recommend in this situation? I do not really know the best option for him. He’s very shy and takes long time to become familiar with the children.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Raffaele
sobreira
Reply with quote  #2 
I think the clue is his shyness (and also having a brother that's not gonna speak at the end of next course). That could make you decide that the sooner he gets involved with other kids, the more time he has to get on well, but if he stays another year at the same level classroom (with new classmates, I suppose), this year would be lost time and he has to start again from the beginning. You can think also that the better he speaks, the faster his relationships are gonna improve. I would keep the babysitter at home (and try to keep him also in contact with other French-speaking kids anywhere else, n the playground, in the street, inviting them home, camping together) and give up the teacher. One third reason would be not making the language an issue (at least for or after him): treat him like a normal kid if you want him to be normal.
Regards,
V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaele

Hello everyone,

I am the father of two kids, Leonardo who will be 4 yo next August and Luca 10 months old. I am Italian and my wife is Russian. For professional reasons (I am a diplomat), we have been living in Gabon  (Central Africa) for one year, where the official language is French. We are going to stay in this country for about 4 years.

Leonardo speaks and understands Italian. He only understands some Russian, as we lived in Italy before. Leonardo started the first class in kindergarten in Gabon about 9 months ago, without any knowledge of French but, at the end of the scholastic year in June, he already had a good French vocabulary, also thanks to the babysitter who speaks French with him. The teacher of Leonardo suggested keeping him another year in its class, due to the fact that his lack of knowledge of French (compared to other kids of the same age) could create him some obstacles in the coming middle class. I am in doubt whether keeping him one additional year in the same class or allowing him to stay with classmates of the same age. What would you recommend in this situation? I do not really know the best option for him. He’s very shy and takes long time to become familiar with the children.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Raffaele
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.