forum

Forum

We encourage you to talk back! Expert advice is nice, but we all love to hear what other parents are doing. So, don’t just ask questions but share your own experience, thoughts, ideas, tips and examples.

|  Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Gabriela
Reply with quote  #1 

I found this site while I was pregnant with my first child, who is now 5 months old. My husband and I decided we would speak English to her to raise her bilingually (our mother tongue is Spanish and we live in a Spanish speaking country). I am an English translator and although I'm very fluent in the language, I find it really hard to speak to my baby in English bec. I'm not familiar with baby talk in English. I don't like to speak to her using the same language I'd use with an adult... Do you know of movies/Internet sites, etc, where I can get ideas to speak English to my baby "in baby"? Thanks!

Kate
Reply with quote  #2 
I was once told that you should speak to your child as if it was an adult - so no "baby talk". The reason is, I believe, to give more language input to a child, more vocabulary, more sophisticated grammar. However, I'm not raising my child bilingually, so I can only imagine that "adult talking" may seem artificial... But maybe you just need time to get used to using English to your child on a daily basis...?
Adriana
Reply with quote  #3 
I am a native English speaker. We are raising our sons bilingually English/Spanish. I would be happy to answer any questions about "baby talk" in English or help you with phrases. Just let me know what you would like to know. I only speak to my 2 month old in Spanish but like I said I am a native English speaker. I struggled at first with my first son to speak the "baby talk" with him because even though I am fluent I had no idea how a Spanish-speaking mother would talk to a baby. I had to spend some time with some native Spanish-speaking mothers and ask ALOT of questions.
Gabriela
Reply with quote  #4 
Sorry for taking so long to reply! Thanks a lot for your answers Kate and Adriana!
I'm still struggling with speaking English to my daughter. I do it sometimes but most of the time I speak Spanish to her, and I feel bad because I believe it would be great for her to learn a second language this way...
I feel it's harder to speak English to Angelina (my 6 months baby) bec. we are very used to speaking in like a whole different Spanish baby dialect ;-) It's very common here, and I don't know how to say, for example: "¿E bebé quiede su pototo?" (A "baby" alternative for "¿El bebé quiere su chupete?"/"Baby wants her pacifier?"). Things like that. I guess it would be easier if I had an English native mother to watch and learn :-)
Do you use phrases like these when speaking English to your babies? I'll keep trying and see what we can do, thanks a lot for your help!
maryam
Reply with quote  #5 
hi
i will speak english baby.
good bye.

Mahboubeh Meimani
Reply with quote  #6 
Hi all
dear Adriana, I hope u get this message soon.
I would be very happy and grateful if u can help me to learn how to baby talk to my baby in Eng. how can I contact u and stay in touch with u?

Mahboubeh
Reply with quote  #7 
Dear Adriana
I have many many questions about "baby talk" in Eng. can u help me plz?
how can I contact u?

Regards
Mahboubeh

AC
Reply with quote  #8 
Hi there,

The best way to learn English baby talk is to observe mothers and babies in action! But if you can't do that, then here are some ideas:

Get a book of English nursery rhymes (or online) and a CD of how to say them, especially if you don't know them already. There are some just for babies, sometimes called finger rhymes or lap rhymes. These have lots of actions and usually involve pointing to body parts or bouncing the baby on your lap or tickling the baby's tummy.

English speakers speak in a high-pitched voice to babies, and often use rhyming words, such as "Do you want your booky-wooky?" (Do you want your book). Boy, it looks really silly to write that down! Or add "-y" to the end of the words: puppy, doggy, kitty, ducky, birdie, horsey, blanky (blanket), passy (pacifier), potty (toilet). There are also baby words for body parts and body functions, but experts are now recommending that parents use the correct scientific names for these.

A lot of things are family-specific, but one thing that seems pretty common is to reduplicate, such as "gone gone" (all gone) and of course "bye bye."

We also tend to call babies by food items. Some favorites are: "pun'kin" (pumpkin), "dumpling," "sugar," even "muffin."

Hope this is helpful.

Adriana
Reply with quote  #9 
I haven't checked this site in awhile. You can email me at villalobosadrian@yahoo.com with your questions about English baby talk. I would be happy to help!
Anna
Reply with quote  #10 
Hi,
I teach an English Kindermusik program in Germany. Most of the families are foreign to Germany, some English speaking, some not, and some are German. The parents find the songs and rhymes we learn very useful when talking to their children. The children also benefit from being exposed to English in a fun way. It is an American program, but an international company with classes all over the world. Look here http://www.kindermusik.com to find out if there is a class near you. I hope so. I love teaching the classes as it is great, educational fun for all the family.

I found this site recently as I am expecting a child later this year. I hope to raise him bi- or tri- lingual. Thank you for all the imput on this site, it has been really useful. I hope I can help other people in the months and years to come.

Anna
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.