forum

Forum

We encourage you to talk back! Expert advice is nice, but we all love to hear what other parents are doing. So, don’t just ask questions but share your own experience, thoughts, ideas, tips and examples.

|  Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Inma
Reply with quote  #1 
Mother: Spanish- Talk Spanish to kids, English to husband
Father: Dutch- Talk Dutch to kids, English to wife
Living in Spain

My case is bit atypical, normally is the parent with minority language the one that is asking for support for the kids to speak his native language.

Well in this case my husband, who is the one native of the minority language, doesn´t make much effort to teach his language to the kids. He is too lazy to read slowly to the kids, or make corrections, or articulate when he speaks to them.

My kids are now 5 and 6 years-old. They speak perfect Spanish, and they understand Dutch pretty good, but they have trouble to speak understandable Dutch.

We travel to Holland at least 2-3 times per year, my parents-in-law come often to Spain. But I see that is not enough. My husband doesn´t pronounce clearly, even Dutch adult have sometimes trouble to understand him.

I am the one asking him everyday to make the effort, as I think that it is very important that the kids speak Dutch. And we always end up having an argument about it. I am telling him that his is missing the chance with the kids and that one day he is going to regret it, but the only thing I get is an angry husband.

Should I give up? What can I do?

Thanks for your advise.
Inma

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.